Moving a piano is very difficult and the task should not be taken lightly. Pianos are expensive, extremely heavy and many have sentimental value attached to them. These are all good reasons to hire professionals to move your piano for you. There will be a charge, but the peace of mind you’ll have knowing it will be done safely will be well worth the price. Professional piano movers have the correct tools and experience. A standard piano has 230 strings and around 10,000 separate moving parts, so a lot of damage can be caused when moving one.
Tips on Moving a Piano
Always take measurements of the piano and the doorways it will move through. Map out the pathway it will take around corners and stairs. You should even count the stairs you will climb too. Have at least four strong people available to help and have them wear nonskid gloves. Buy or borrow piano moving equipment and use it properly. Wrap the piano in furniture pads, secure it with rubber bands and use stretch wrap to secure it all in place. Make sure the movers work as a team.
Do’s & Don’ts When Moving a Piano
– Do make sure you move furniture and other large objects out of the way to make a clear path. This will be easier than doing it in the middle of the move.
– Don’t keep the lid unlocked. If the move gets bumpy, the instruments keys can be damaged.
– Don’t try shifting the weight in one direction or the other. Tipping the piano over stairs or around corners can put stress on the midsection and warp the frame of it.
– Do make sure the piano is secured in the truck as the move can easily damage it. It can even cause damage you won’t be able to see.
– Don’t use regular cargo straps with pianos. You need to purchase heavy-duty straps designed for furniture that can hold heavy weight during the move.
– Do remove the legs on a grand piano before you move it. The legs can break during the move and removing the legs will also make it easier to maneuver the piano through the house.
– Don’t pack the piano last. The piano should be put on the moving truck first in the very back, up against the wall. If you notice that the trucks interior isn’t level, you will need to put some wood planks on the floor to evenly balance the weight.
– Do put some desiccants inside the piano before you pack it up. These will help if the truck stops in a humid environment overnight and will prevent the wood from warping or cracking.
– Do have the piano tuned once it’s in its new home. Even a move without damage can affect the piano. Humidity and atmospheric pressure in a new home can put it out of tune.
Professional Piano Moving in Manhattan NYC New York, Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn & Bronx NY & Secaucus NJ
Piano moving is time consuming and difficult. To prevent damage, it needs to be done with the utmost care. Always consult with professional piano movers before a move. You may think you can’t afford our services, but the quote we provide may give you important considerations or enable you to tweak your budget to find the money. When it comes to piano moving, RC Van Services is a great option to look at. Give us a call today!